100% locally grown

With so many travels, it was hard to find a good week to try to pull this off. The goal was to eat 100% locally grown food for one week. I had one week before Sunniva arrived and I knew it would be almost impossible once she got here. To prepare, Brett & I made a trip to the Amish country in Ethridge, TN. I bought all kinds of fresh goodies to supplement our own items. Eggs from our chickens, beef from cows raised by our friends, lots of veggies in our garden. I was going to allow myself sugar, salt and pepper - everything else was to be local. We bought a lot more veggies - things like okra, potatoes and carrots and then also got molasses, butter and even milk, from the different Amish farms. I was set.

I did so good. And then Brett said I should take a vitamin. I don't normally take vitamins, and looking back, this would probably be some of healthiest eating I would experience in my life, so why I agreed I needed vitamins, I don't know. Anyhow, I took a vitamin and went to bed. Just a few minutes later I started getting nauseous. It came so quick, but I felt horrible! Brett came in and said he realized it was because I took a vitamin on an empty stomach. I needed to eat. But when you're nauseous, the last thing you want is veggies or creamy milk....you want bread! Being gluten free, there's no such thing as local bread that I can eat. I kept thinking, do I break my week or do I throw up? In the end, I chose to eat a gluten free bagel. And it never tasted so good. I know myself well enough to know that I wont try this again this year as I can't eat something different than everyone else in the house and trust me when I say Brett and Sunniva wont be doing it. So, this is going to be one of those where I must admit. "I tried. I failed. I'm not trying again."

No comments:

Post a Comment